It’s time to talk beet pasta. The awesome thing about beet pasta? Well, there are a few things actually:
1) If you like the flavor of beets, you’ll find this pasta sweet and delicious, especially when paired with this dairy-free lemon-creme sauce.
2) Beet pasta is grain-free and gluten-free, making it a healthy choice for those with food allergies, intolerances, or who try to avoid gluten/grains.
3) If you’re stuck in a beet rut this winter, beet “pasta” is a fun and creative way to use seasonal beets!
2 boxes Veggie Noodle Co. Beet Spirals
For the Lemon-Creme Sauce:
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 heaping cups cauliflower florets
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
1 tsp dried ground cumin
For the Broiled Salmon:
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 (6-ounce) wild salmon fillets
Fresh parsley for garnish
- Lemon-Creme Sauce:
- Add coconut oil to a medium saucepan over low-medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the garlic cloves and sauté for an additional minute.
- While onion is cooking, steam the cauliflower florets for 5 minutes or until tender. Once cauliflower is tender, add the onions, garlic, cauliflower, lemon juice, zest, coconut milk, sea salt, black pepper, and cumin to a blender and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Broiled Salmon:
- Preheat the broiler. Line a sheet pan with foil.
- Mix cumin, paprika, mustard powder, garlic powder and salt together. Sprinkle spice mixture over salmon. Lay flat on sheet pan.
- Broil the salmon for 7 minutes, or until the salmon is flaky and cooked through and the internal temperature has reached at least 135 degrees F.
- Assembling the dish:
- Divide beet pasta between two plates.
- Add the blended sauce back to the saucepan. Simmer for 1 minute then serve hot over beet pasta. Top with broiled salmon and garnish with fresh herbs, if desired.
Prep time: 20 mins | Cook time: 60 mins | Total time: 1 hour 20 mins
Original blog by Sonnet from In Sonnet’s Kitchen. Follow on Facebook, Instagram and Twi